Friday, September 4, 2009

30 Day Yoga Challenge, Day 3

If you listen to the universe, it will provide….

I spent all of yesterday listening to whistful, beautiful tunes and thinking about the internal ruminations of the boy, feeling a need to deeply examine life – the equivalent of a mental deep twist to get all the broken plans out of the way – and not in the mood to do a quick or overly challenging vinyasa class. I picked up my mother, feeling the need to tell her these thoughts, but not at the moment, in fact all I wanted to do was play her Ryan Adams’ Wonderwall. So I did and we went to class, and we set down our mats and waited. And then the news comes that our teacher, Gopi, was in a fender bender and would not make it (she is four months pregnant, so let’s keep her in our thoughts okay?). Two of the students there led us through a 20 minute meditation, and an hour of vinyasa.

See – the universe provided. The 20 minute meditation was – and I cannot emphasize this enough – just what I needed, as I have been moving towards this need for the past week but have not been able to kickstart it myself. And the student-turned-teacher ( this is what I love about yoga) led us through a very simple class that had be thinking she was very experienced. A few surya’s, with a dancer thrown in (I love dancer – and I know I should not have done them because of my ankle, but I couldn’t help it) and even a half and a king pigeon which were so sweet to me ( could only do king on one side, the ankle tendons caught up the other). The teacher’s hands radiated an energy of trust and healing that everyone was buzzing about after class, especially since it turns out the teacher was brand new! She was, however, a cranio-sacral therapist, which explains the energy in the hands.

So there you go. I left the class ready to chat with Mom, and went to bed with my bulging discs screaming at me. So I found a hot water bottle (which has a history of leaking) and accidently fell asleep with it on, to a half-soaking bed. Interesting morning, to say the least. But now my back feels better than it has in weeks!

No comments: