Thursday, September 24, 2009

30 Day Yoga Challenge Day 23

Yesterday was my Dad’s birthday. Just a note – I could write a whole post on the virtues of my father but I will save that for another time. It is not this father I am mourning, anyway.

I finally made it to a class last night. This in itself makes me laugh, as it had only been one week since my previous class and it was so necessary that when I got home the boy informed me that the reason he called earlier in the day was to make sure I was going (apparently I am a grumpy bitch if I don’t get my stretch on). It was a great class, because I went and most classes are great when I take them (not because of me being there, but because I am experiencing them and that is great for me). This one was full of twists and core moves – great because I need the inner strength and the flexibility in my life right now – and had a bunch of balancing poses which I found rather difficult. It makes sense that, not having done much balancing in my life lately, I would be pretty off-kilter. It is not a very focused month, neither it is a very stand-alone-with-strength-and-flying-energy kind of month. It is very much a simple-breakthroughs-as-I-lean-on-you kind of month.

I feel drastically different today than yesterday, my body so quickly and dramatically respond to an hour of stretch. It always alarms me how sore I am after a class, considering there are no weights or props or timers or systems, just the mat, and my body, and a guiding voice - proof that perhaps I am my most difficult coach. I was so thoroughly exhausted that I slept last night. I slept the kind of sleep that makes it so hard to wake up in the morning you have to force yourself awake to turn off your alarm, and you really should be setting for every five minutes because you are likely to fall asleep again and be late for work. It is the kind of sleep that leaves you swollen and puffy and dehydrated, and needing coffee through the early afternoon, but the kind of sleep that eventually catches you up and puts you back in to place. QED, no Taking Back the Morning today. This shall commence next week, I have decided, when yoga in the morning and writing will bring me to a smoothie and toast breakfast and a successful day (I am deciding to skip the $40 washington post subscription, as I prefer to spend that money on food, or against my credit card, and the amount of recycling alone that creates is hard to bear. I may change my mind. The crossword and editorials are really enticing anyhow.).

No comments: