Monday, August 17, 2009

Services, therapy, and 6-day weeks

Okay
Big stuff this weekend-slash-today:
First, I schlepped the boy out to my grandmother’s memorial service in Purcellville where he got to be scrutinized by my EXTREMELY GINORMOUS FAMILY OF DUTCHMEN. Seriously, there are 6 kids ( aunts and uncles) with at least one spouse (some are mormon. Only sort of joking) 17 cousins (most with spouses or significant others) and most of THEM have at least one kid. That’s a LOT of family. So much family I often forget names or how I am related to them. And the boy sat through it all, smiling and holding my hand. He now has rights to Saturn, in my book.


Today I took a big leap and sent off a submission to Poetry Magazine. My first ever submission. Of four poems. I know in my heart of hearts I will be reading a rejections e-mail in about four weeks. Which is okay with me. The big effort was in actually hitting the send button and now I can go off and submit more to other journals. I will spend today finding local magazines, etc. to submit to and getting the numbers game of rejection over with. I’m proud of myself 

I am feeling grody. I decided that with the boy’s impending oh-too-long trip to the West Coast coming up (20 days. I mean... seriously. Clearly it was designed as a torture method), I would take advantage and do things I would never do when he was around. I.E. lots of me time, lots of body time. I will attempt a Master Cleanse (five days on a fruit fast, ten on the lemonade, five on a fruit fast again) which I am sure will turn into another liquid-diet fast. The first weekend he is away I will treat as a Spa Weekend (still in the planning stages, but expect sea salt scrubs, lots of baths, hair conditioning treatments, lots and lots of yoga, lots of relaxing music, etc.). Let me just tell you – I think I’m pretty much ready for that.

Also I’m just going to put in a little bit of UBER JEALOUSY for all the bloggers at the Healthy Lifestyle Blogging Summit up in Boston this past weekend. If I had known about it earlier I totally would have wasted money and gone. I will totally go next year. If I’m not in Chile by then.

Also I’m fairly certain I am applying for a tutoring position – goodbye beloved Saturday, I hardly knew ye – hello paying off credit cards and actually getting my car fixed/saving for Chile. We weigh our decisions, don’t we?

No comments: