Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Power Hippy

2:07 pm
My delicious boyfriend was given the opportunity to wander from his office in Annapolis today, and met me downtown for lunch. This morning was a storm of excitement; I had to restrain myself from running when I saw him walking towards me on the street. When he met me, he laughed and said I was a strange mix between the “power suit and a hippy dress”, which I knew referred to the fact that I was wearing my favorite crocheted yoga wrap over my dark vest and pencil skirt combo, but it did not stop me from thinking.

I guess that is pretty accurate – my life does display a strange mix of power suit gusto and professional capability, and hippy-dress love of yoga and food and plants and people. This perhaps is most obvious in my deep desire to move towards environmental law. (“I love you all, but as long as I have my way? I’ll do whatever is best for the world as long as I get to plan it? OR I’ll fix all the problems but only if it’s for the greater good) But I also can’t help thinking if this does not describe our generation en totem.

As we all know, I am a fan of the broad generalization, so I will continue with this one. Raised by the baby boomers, our generation acknowledges the need for freedom, acceptance, diversity, and care. However, we are also a generation that is reactionary, and is moving back to a younger age of marriage, with a great amount of conservatives amongst us. We embrace the fundamental principles our parents raised us on, but react against their own actions?


Just a thought.

No comments: