Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Running... I guess so?

Running Update: (as if you still cared) (whatever)

I finally went on my first run after the 15 miler on Sunday from the sail loft - a 5 mile capped by a mile walk with coffee. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! I was FLYING I was running so quickly! I forgot, in the three hour run previous, what it felt like to feel strong and fast and capable. This is why I love running. Because I can conquer my failing body for a few minutes. I realized I had been intimidated by the prospect of running and that was why it took me almost a week to get up again - intimidated by the miles, by the idea that running is painful. The miles are unimportant as long as I get out there, and it is not always painful.

Therefore, I did a good set of weights last night and cooked up a mad saag paneer in the fly, and, that's right, finally ran to work this morning. I left a little before 7, and walked INTO THE OFFICE at 8:08. HOLY TIME BATMAN! Thats 6.5 miles in about 70 minutes! Which, true, is about 11 minute a mile, but it's great time for my TINY little dwarf legs! So, I'm getting stronger! And the run down 16th street is much safer than GA Ave, and I got in in enough time to go grab a latte as a protein refresher (side note - i walked an extra block to Caribou because it's not Starbucks, and THEY DO NOT CARRY WHOLE MILK!!! WTF these caps are for outrage, not excitement. I want my whole milk and super delicious healthy fats! I've earned it! Whatever). This will happen again. Probably on Thursday.

The half marathon is this Saturday. It's funny, because running the last one was such a huge accomplishment for me - I had the concept of a half all worked up in my head for this past October, and then I decided on the fly to run it in May instead, and did it well, and I realized that I really could put my body through some stupid shit if I wanted to and feel good about it. And this one, well, I guess I'll remember to show up! No, I'm actually excited for it, but don't think I'll go for any goals. Maybe though? Should I try to beat my time? I wonder if I could....

(It's this kind of thinking that gets me in trouble)

No comments: