Thursday, January 21, 2010

Decorating Thoughts

I am determined to put more effort into things. Like, for example, my living space. I spend a great deal of time looking at design blogs, and love them. So as a start I am making a list of all the elements that inspire me, make me long for a house to fully design, and/or that I think is simply beautiful or fun.
- clean, simple spaces/ minimalism
- plants
- neutrals with splashes of color
- chandeliers or touches of luxury
- the idea of chalkboard paint
- well-organized chotchkies
- wide open spaces (cue the Dixie chicks)
- fireplaces
- lots of windows
- organic, industrial, and found materials (concrete, sod, siding from an old school bus, etc.)
- anything re-used in a new way


Things I don’t like in decorating:
- monochromatic rooms
- prints of flowers
- TOO MUCH of anything
- pink


Un/Fortunately there are a lot more things I like than don’t like. Which means I must gets on that whole tunr-my-shelves-into-a-giant-terrarium-concept I’ve been working on. Oh, and frame some GD Pictures. Etc. Also, the use of burnt milk crates as a shelving unit, while it works, it’s not so attractive.
However I am slightly worried that the space constraint OF MY LIFE is inhibiting my desire to DO ANYTHING about making a place prettier. It’s so much effort. And scrounging. And it’s not warm enough yet to paint furniture (boo). I shall update you if I decide to do anything else with all of these thoughts.

No comments: