Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Maine, runs, BA

Man, yesterday sucked. And not in an everything-is-going-wrong-I-want-to-cry type of way, but in a Why-am-I-wasting-my-time-at-this-job, Even-my-boss-doesn’t-want-to-be-here-why-won’t-he-just-decide-what-he-wants-me-to-do-with-this-project type of way. And I realized I have about 150 pushups, 200 crunches, 70 pull-ups, 50-dips, and 150 squats to complete for this challenge since I did none of those this weekend.

But the weather was so beautiful… finally spring is here! The birds have been calling it for a week now, but when your coat is too much and you don’t’ need tights anymore, that’s the real kicker. YAY! So in celebration I went for a run after work. Oh wait.. let’s backtrack.

Friday I had to go for my long run since I was leaving for Maine at 6am the next day and there would be no place for me to run along the way. So I calculated a ten mile route around downtown and set out after work. Running up the two mile hill of embassy row, I decided there was no way this route was 10 miles, it is too easy. So I run down Mass Ave through Georgetown, flying so fast, and have completely made up my mind that it was not ten miles. So I decide, I can skip the half mile around the Capital building since this feels like a six mile anyway and I’m really anxious to get up to Annapolis. I get inside, hear my time, and check on the interwubs, and it turns out I ran 8 miles. At lightening speed. WOAH!

No sore legs on Saturday, and there must be some kind of magic going on because I landed approximately 20 handstands throughout the day on Saturday, mostly at gas stations. Handstands are my ultimate-awesome move – they are SUPER hard for me, especially with no wall. BUT I DID THEM ANYWAY!! The nine and a half hour drive up was a dream – and I saw both sunrise AND sunset with my boy. We jammed to NPR and music, ate candy, drank a lot of coffee, and landed in York Beach Maine around 3:30 to drop off the boat. And then we walked around the most beautiful beach EVER. The smell of the place was heaven - soft sea air mixed with wood fires, hardcore surfers in the 32 degree waves, stones streaked with colors I have never seen before. AWESOME!

We stayed in a half-sketch hotel and found some food and drank a glass of wine before passing out, having spent the entire day planning the bars we will start and where we will live. The sun was so bright in the morning- so so bright! And we went to another beach and went for a walk and a scramble up some rocks. I turned into 8-year-old me and searched for shells, and found STARFISH! Little ones! One was a live, but I took two dead ones home. AWESOME! The live one only had four legs – he was clearly a super badass starfish.

The drive back was awesome too – I drove from Connecticut downward and we VERY narrowly avoided disaster when some dude spun out in front of us on the highway. That was scary. We made it back for dinner and fell FAST asleep.

So that brings me to yesterday. When I had the distinctive feeling that I was just WASTING my time. I DID NOT want to be at work. But the day went quickly and I took a walk in the middle of it and that was fine. The boy bought the paris tickets so this thing is really really happening - !!!! - So I decided to reward myself with a run. I thought I would run that awesome route again and see how it felt, and since it was a long route I would just divide it in half and run the 5 miles – I was scheduled for 4 so that’s not bad. So I start out and once I get to the 5 mile point I realize how GREAT I’m feeling and just keep going. That’s right. I accidentally ran 10 miles. In a time I never thought possible – 100 minutes! That’s right again -10 ten minute miles. Dude I’m awesome!

Got home and showered, ate, watched TV, forced myself to bed at a reasonable time even though I did not feel tired. That’s why I prefer running in the morning – it wakes me up so much. Woke up at 5AM This morning – HELLO EARLY RISER! And came into work for an easy 3 mile recovery run, which, according to my doorman at work, was not so leisurely. Apparently I ran 8 minute miles? Dude. What’s going on – I’m like, let’s-wake-up-early-and-kick-ass all of a sudden. Now I just have to sell the EFFING car and all will be well.

No comments: