Tuesday, June 8, 2010

what a distraction the body is

It is becoming ever more obvious to me what a distraction the body is. We spend all of our time paying court to it – feeding it, grooming it, listening to its desires. What a shame that in a peaceful, quiet walk on a beautiful day I must be bombarded with messages from the flesh! “Oh, it’s a little too hot in the sun. And now your pants are riding up to create a rather uncomfortable situation. Did you eat a little too much at dinner the other day?” is all I hear! And when we are looking back on pictures from past experiences, we spend so much time worrying about whether the body appeared to be beautiful!

Perhaps I just now understand this element of yoga that purports this theme, that it is through constant study that we can learn to “turn off” our awareness of our body’s signals. Through diligence and conscious actions we can figure out how to go for a walk and not hear those body thoughts, but instead, simply notice the trees or the birds singing or the comfort of a held hand. This, my friends, is my fitness goal – to turn off my body.

No comments: