Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Running Update: Eleven Miles

I aborted running this weekend for several weekends: a) Sophie was in town (Oh I ADORE a great excuse to eat too much bad food, drink too much, and spend infinite hours sitting around, and Sophie is one such wonderful excuse) and b) It snowed. QED no long run until Monday evening, after work. This run, my friends, was beautiful. Just cold enough to keep you running, and wicking the sweat off, but not so cold I needed a hat. And evenings running down to Georgetown and around the mall are full of light and people and the feelings that you are truly accomplishing something (because, somehow, all the accomplishment you are surrounded by rubs off, I guess). So – eleven miles. The first six were, actually, wonderful and swift and constant, in another headspace. The seventh was a bit difficult, and the last four were quite hard because I had not rehydrated or brought any snacks (I will have to figure out what to do about this in the future). Interestingly enough, I did not suffer loneliness or demotivation, and my ipod on simple music provided enough background noise to shut off thoughts. I walked a lot in the last few miles, which reminded how much harder it is to stop and start again. My muscles were sore, and I am still suffering from terrible chafing injuries. But no side effects of shin splints or sore knees, but definite hunger throughout the night. Today I am not as sore as I expected, and feel like I can continue these long runs -with modifications for fuel of course – for the course of it. For now, at least.

No comments: