Monday, December 14, 2009

A bazillion WINS, Part 1

My friends
Today is a day of success, and fear not, I will tell you why:

a) This past weekend RULED. I have to come out and say it – Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright’s PA house, is SEXY. More to come
b) Nothing this weekend went as planned, and I DID NOT FREAK OUT! I know, right? SO NOT ME. I think this boy is good for me.
c) I finally don’t hate my haircut. Actually, it may be kind of cute.
d) I found my future in two U Vermont programs: the field naturalist program, which is kind of like St. John’s for non-scientist eco-freaks, and their ecological design certificate
e) I was told by my boss’ wife that I am doing my job “very very well”. SCORE!
f) Money, if not looking up, is at least not sinking me into a hole. I feel fine about it now.
g) I am pretty freaking excited about my 12 mile run tonight.
h) Etc.

Details:
a) and b) I took the boy to Pittsburgh as a surprise, keeping him in the dark about where we were going for three weeks. The reason we went THERE is the exhibits that were shown. Well, we got a late start on Sat. so we did not get in to Pittsburgh until 3:45, and the first museum closed at 5. So we perused the Carnegie Museum of Art and saw an exhibit on people in photographs throughout photography history, a super cool engineer that made me drool, and lots of modern works. I ate a really old potato the night before and had an embarrassing digestive reaction, demanding we get off the metro so I could use the loo on our way to the venison party (that’s right, a friend shot a buck and cooked us its meat), and continued to have terrible stomach pain the entire weekend. I drank Pepto like water. So I was exhausted after the driving, and the museum, and we found a super cute, simple bar right next to our parking spot and had some simple good food. The hotel was hard to find, but pretty nice, and I slumped into bed with my pepto and ginger ale and watched “blades of glory” before getting the definitely not enough 9 hours of sleep.

We figured we would try to catch the Warhol museum, which we were both most excited about of the two museums, in the AM on Sunday because we would have more time then than on Saturday, and then scoot over to see Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater. I gave the attendant my credit card, instead of my debit, and feared my paycheck hadn’t gone through when it declined, so I made the boy pay for his Christmas hotel room. I was embarrassed, to say the least. And of course, even though we know better, we figured we would get breakfast and coffee in town instead of bother the busy attendants at the front desk to walk over and use their starbucks carafe’s to fuel us. Well, the universe thought it would give us a good joke because it decided that it too would celebrate Fallingwater and RAINED ICE. Seriously, we passed forty cars ruined on the side of the road. It was a battleground. This, of course, going at under 40 mph on the highway for 20 minutes before we came to a dead standstill and had to park for, yes, two hours, while a car was cleared away and the road de-thawed because it was iced over. Nope, no time for the Warhol dammit. Though, it gives us a great excuse to come back.

So we headed out and stopped at a Bob Evans along the way to enjoy pretty much our favorite meal of diner breakfast. Trotted into the tour right on time, and proceeded to spend the next hour with our jaws dropped and our little design-inclined minds going WILD. The place is seriously cooler than you can imagine. We daydreamed about architecture and planning for the ride home in, yes, clear weather.

No comments: