Monday, October 19, 2009

The pain of monday

This morning, driving home from Annapolis, the world was beautiful. I had a perfect, soft weekend full of sleep and love, and I was awake and excited for a week of new thoughts and small victories, and yoga. Music on the radio was good, the lightening sky was beautiful, traffic swift, coffee hot, the day ready for me.

Now, five hours later, I am huddled over my desk, in tears, tight and gasping in the pain all women feel. I am tired, hungry and cold, and ill to my stomach. I have a runny nose, and an ear ache, and no more work to do. It is beautiful outside, as I can see from the reflection on the window that I can see through the office across the hall from me. But I can barely move. I am weak and I hurt and the only conversation in my head is “it goes away, it always goes away”.

Some days the mornings are all they can be, and by noon we are no longer what we are capable of.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

This might be TMI, but funny in a weird way: one time I had cramps so bad that I spontaneously started reciting Hail Marys for the first time in about ten years. That was how bad it was! I feel your pain.