Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Workout Prep

Alright so I have this firm idea that what you eat before and after working out makes a big difference in your performance (as does all food you eat), but do I ever follow these ideas? Negative. I had, until yesterday, never really noticed a huge difference - except, of course, that one evening run last summer when I had a giant dish of pasta for lunch and I went super fast - and, of course, eating before a yoga class is never a good idea for me.

But yesterday, on my way to perhaps the most awesome yoga class ever at Charm City (with Girish playing live - sweet!) I had my favorite snack of 7-11 coffee and a Hershey bar. I felt SO gross at the beginning of class, my breath felt limited and thick, but by the end I was all clear and in my new radiance decided to cut out sugar.

That worked until this morning's breakfast, when half a cupcake slid in. Unimportant. The next instance that is, though, is my four mile run-turned run/walk today (first out since the half marathon last week) and I not only started cramping up in the first mile, but my legs were so heavy I didn't feel like they were the same ones I ran with last week! Culprits in my head: it had been too long since I ate, not enough water in the morning (only 1.5 liters, should have been 2 or 2.5), the cupcake (duh) and too much of my newly homemade kombucha (I had about 8 oz. and the recommended first week is 2-4 per day).

I am now going to pay as much attention to what I eat before I workout as I am after. The first hitch to get over - I have to buy groceries, which will end my miraculous four week grocery hiatus. We'll see.

No comments: