Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Thick Like Thieves

So in my great quest to figure out how to eat cheaper, and perhaps make most of my food in the process, I condensed my home-made yogurt this weekend and successfully made ... GREEK YOGURT! You may know this thick byproduct as Fage, Greek's Gods, Chobani, etc. mixed with honey or peaches or other fruit, at an ungodly price of ... way too much.. at your local grocery store. Well by straining my yogurt on top of cheesecloth that was rubber-banded to the top of tupperwear and sitting in my fridge all night, the excess whey drained off and thickened the yogurt. Which was ridiculously delicious when I crumbled some cardamom pods into it, added fresh mint leaves from my plant, and spooned some molasses into it (I forgot the flax seeds, but put those in my mid-day smoothie to make up for it). Granola would have worked too. All very yummy and significantly cheaper.

Advice: skip the process of making your own yogurt, and purchase the reasonably priced big vats of it at the grocery store for relatively little dollars compared to the amount of time spent making the home stuff; drain it, and you get half-priced greek yogurt.
Note: the draining process leaves you with about half as much yogurt as you had before, but you eat about half as much greek yogurt in a serving as regular yogurt so it all works out.
Also: don't waste the whey! I will provide you with clever and tasty ways to use it soon.

No comments: