Friday, June 12, 2009

Adventures in Culture(s)




So I had a day off yesterday (I know, right? WOW! Am I feeling okay..?) and spent it being.. that's right, productive.

List of what I did:
had a headache
napped for three hours
cleaned the bathroom
finished painting the chair for Hannah-Bear
went grocery shopping/bought TP
brewed more kombucha/bottled the old
made yogurt.
sprouted.

yes, approximately a much larger percent of my time was spent playing around with live molds and cultures than most people. I am a scientist, clearly.

Yogurt: took about seven hours, incredibly satisfying BUT in the long run, after having to check the temperature every hour or so, not really worth the effort. Perhaps I can devise a system to fix that. Than it would be worth it as I hate paying for foods I can make.

Kombucha: ridiculously satisfying and exciting. This time I took a ginger root I had and cut it into tiny pieces and stuck it in the freezer and put a few of the pieces in the bottom of the pot while it was brewing. I am excited, to say the least.

Third attempt at sprouting in this kitchen: while I am somewhat frustrated and prefer to blame my new apartment for my inability to sprout recently, I do truly believe it is the fact that I AM NEVER THERE and therefore cannot rinse the grain appropriately. Bummer. This will change once new job is enacted.

No comments: