Friday, May 7, 2010

huge decision, and three weeks of independence left

So this past week has blown my mind. I made a pretty huge decision that is pretty crazy. I am moving back in with my mom and brother.

Okay, big deal you say, haven’t half of us reading done that?
True, except your mom and brother did not move into a smaller space when you were 20 years old so that, by moving back in with them, you are quite literally choosing between a bed on the living room couch, or sharing a bed with your mother.

Yeah, so that’s what’s happening. The largest anxiety-inducing factor in my life this past year has been money, and I have tried everything I can think of to change the fact that I am spending all of it on bills: tried to sell my car, got another job, stopped buying food, and now I am moving out of the apartment. And believe me, there is nothing that reminds you so well what a sweet situation you have than by moving in with your family.

On the one hand, I am SO SUPER EXCITED because this change will solve SO MANY PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!! And on the other hand, I realized last night that the next three weeks very well may be the last three weeks that I have any element of personal privacy EVER IN MY LIFE. Seriously, think about it. I will move from here to my mom’s couch. And then out west with the boyfriend. And if all goes well I will never be living alone again. And then there will be children, and privacy will be a big joke told alongside stories about when you were younger and used to drink until dawn and hadn’t thought of what retirement plan to contribute to yet.

Great things about moving in with mom:
- washer dryer
- full kitchen with all possible appliances
- gym in the basement
- NO RENT
- full balcony with lots of sun
- I can save enough $ to travel for a month or two when I leave
- NO RENT
- parking
- right on the metro
- giant across the street
- I can save enough $ to pay off all my minor debts
- I’ll be forced to spend time with friends so I can get some space from the brother
- 1.5 mile walk to downtown Bethesda
- I can save enough $ to possibly go to teacher training in the winter or next spring
- NO RENT
- lots of mother/daughter bonding
- forced to go through all my shizzle and get rid of things unnecessary
- NO RENT
- I am super comfortable running around the neighborhood at night because, lets be honest, I am surrounded by white Catholics who either babysat my mother, babysat me, babysat WITH me, or who I have babysat, also their Hispanic nannies.
- I can save enough $ to go do yoga after work

Not-so-great things about living at my moms:
- Mom and Kees are MESSIER than I am (honestly, that’s pretty much everybody in the world sometimes)
- No privacy
- Boyfriend cannot stay over
- I can’t sleep on my own mattress
- possible back pain from where I WILL be sleeping
- extra bus ride to the metro in the morning
- need to overly label all my food so brother will not eat it, and still risk it disappearing
- the building superintendant has a lot to fix in the apartment
- no space for my stuff

All of the above can be dealt with by patience, patience, and the knowledge that this is UBER temporary.

And honestly, if moving out west with the boyfriend is something I want to do so badly, than HELLLZ YES I will live with two of my favs people ever for a while to make that happen!

No comments: