Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No Rest for the Wicked

First of all, why does the world get in the way of my best laid plans? Here is a summary of last night: frustrating and anti-Annelies. I spent the afternoon salivating over several different fall weather recipes, eagerly awaiting a hot toddy, some good tunes on the record player, and a long conversation with a friend before an early bed time and an early morning hill run. What actually happened was not that. At all.

I came home, pulled the boxes of records from the car to the living room, put away my laundry, and walked out back to go to the grocery store to pick up the goods for the great evening, to promptly view our property un-manager’s friend’s car parked in a t to my very own Toyota. Blocked in. Too grumpy to try to face the man and make him move, and having decided that I was even too grumpy to walk the mile to the liquor store, I instead walked across the street to the co-op for overpriced veggies, and called my mother to complain, during which I was advised to, and quickly did, send a passive aggressive text asking whose car was blocking me in. I learn well, roommate.

So that having happened, it was okay because I still made a great dinner, albeit sans cocktail, or brussel sprouts, the grumpiness gave me a great excuse to forget to do yoga. So early to bed I went after a nice bath to try to break up this knot I have in my shoulder, and early I woke up. An hour later. To bright lights, loud shouts, and the rapid shaking of my mattress that made me feel like I was on some motel’s dirty coin-machine. There was a road crew outside of our corner house, on both sides, breaking up the pavement. At midnight the roommate called the police, finding out they had a permit to operate until 2 am. WHICH IS ABSURD!!! Because WHY IN THE WORLD DO WE NEED TO SHOUT TO BE HEARD AT ONE AM IN THE MORNING??? Sleeping should be happening, NOT SHOUTING!

So, grateful at my roommate’s inquiry, I read some, drank some warm milk, and decided it was worth the fight against sleep since the fight to see the meters failed and robbed me of it the night before. So, in and out I go until 2:01 am when roommate goes outside and asks Big Shouting Boss Guy why he is still working. He said they have a permit until 5 am. FIVE AM!!!!!! DIRECTLY OUTSIDE MY WINDOW!!!! I don’t have enough caps ability or room for exclamation points to declare just how confused and pissed off I am at this outrageous atrocity.

So, no sleep, no run in the morning, no anything I had planned. But this is why life is okay, right? Because I am not all that miffed. Not at all like after I ruined my routine after the beach this summer. And certainly not at all like younger Me. I am like water, cool and flowing with this change of NO SLEEP. At least I am lucid enough to begin the several day trip into self inquiry that my birthday always brings around.

No comments: