Thursday, October 14, 2010

Tea

I am becoming so tired of these self-searching questions, the interior focus of youth and boredom. Perhaps it is because I have hit a rock and see these questions as unanswerable for the time being and the pressing forward on the boulder is exhausting. Why is a search for passion so important? Why do I feel these questions following me around like lost puppies long after I have left them at the corner and told them to stay?

The search for our passions, maybe, is the search for the motivator, the self’s Prime Mover, our own personal God-of-the-small-life. We must see those that have identified their passion as somehow more peaceful and happier, that our seeking will be rewarded in an earthly heaven. But maybe it is because we see those that have identified their passion as productive, as somehow fundamentally more effective in their living, contributing instead of wandering. Maybe this search for my passion is haunting me now because I feel so useless, a drain on the social machine. The one answer I am so tired of searching for may be clarifying the one question I have yet to ask. Clearly it is not here yet.


I watched a movie today, entitled “All in This Tea” produced by flower films. It documents the beginning of the importation of organic tea from China by David Lee Hoffman in the early 1990’s. There is much talk of the ‘experience’ of drinking tea and of all the memories and tastes it recalls. Just a simple reminder to value simplicity.

No comments: